Call to Action: Candidates for Mayor, Council, School and Parks Board should sign the #StopTheSweeps Supporter Pledge, and commit to taking a human-rights based approach to encampments in the City of Vancouver.
Support Hastings Tent City
✓ I support the right of people to shelter in place, 24 hours a day.
✓ I support an end to evicting people who live outside from their homes.
✓ I support a human rights approach to tent cities as outlined in the National Protocol for Homeless Encampments in Canada.
In accepting this pledge, I support the following demands for the City of Vancouver:
- Reversal of the July 26th Fire Order calling for all tents to be removed from Hastings Street;
- An end to the decampment of tent cities, whether through force or rebranded as “voluntary”;
- An end to City of Vancouver and Park Board by-laws that criminalize poverty and force people to take down their homes during the day;
- Supporting the City of Vancouver in adopting the National Protocol for Homeless Encampments in Canada for working with tent cities and people who live outside;
- The creation of livable, dignified housing rented at welfare and shelter-rates on a permanent basis for the City’s poor and working residents;
- The permanent City provision of adequate hygienic facilities for current and future tent cities – such as 24-hour, peer-staffed bathroom and shower trailers;
- City accountability and redress for the unlivable conditions of SROs and supportive housing in the Downtown Eastside – as long as the City continues to allow providers to violate health and safety codes, residents will exercise their right to refuse unsafe housing.